• Announcements

• admin

PBS Forum Has Closed   06/12/17

The PBS Works Support Forum is no longer active.  For PBS community-oriented questions and support, please join the discussion at http://community.pbspro.org.  Any new security advisories related to commercially-licensed products will be posted in the PBS User Area (https://secure.altair.com/UserArea/). 
firly

PBS Node Unknown

Hello PBS Works Community,

So here’s my case: I am using PBS for submitting Abaqus job to server.

There’s one server and 6 clients. Server running Windows Server 2012 Standard and all clients running Win 7 Pro.

The interface of xpbs program on client looked like this:

post-23693-0-36760500-1438757125_thumb.j

But when I tried to submit jobs, I got an error like this:

post-23693-0-17248300-1438757123_thumb.j

FYI this is a standard user account and I’ve input the pbs_password of the user.

However, when I checked the server status, it looked like this:

post-23693-0-21485900-1438757124_thumb.p

Does anyone know what might be the problem is?

Thanks for the answers.

firly, 

Thanks for sharing the screen shots - this was helpful. 

WRT Abaqus jobs not submitting

It would appear that the abaqus command wraps our qsub command. I will not be able to help diagnosis any issues with the command line arguments of abaqus - this will need to be pursued via Abaqus support as they are providing you the interface. However, I can provide you some guidance on what I think might be happening. 

Are you the administrator of these systems AND did you install PBS Professional? 

You mention on server and 6 clients. I need to clarify terminology

Based on your screen shots, it looks like you have

1. ONE PBS Server/Scheduler [gttgr-abaqus]; I see this from the xpbs screenshot > server

2. ONE PBS MOM (execution node) [gttgr-abaqus]; I this from the qmgr -c "list nodes @active"

3. SIX clients, I am assuming that you are referring to submission clients and not execution nodes. 

WRT BAD UID

The error message looks similar to what I would have expected our qsub command to provide, BUT it looks like the abaqus command is modifying the error message. Based on the description of the error message, I would assume that the PBS Professional administrator has not added the Admin user accounts acl_roots attribute of the PBS Server. I will reference Section 8.10 of the PBS Professional v12.2 Admin Guide that describes this: 

PBS Professional v12.2 Administrator Guide

8.10 Root-owned Jobs

The Server will reject any job which would execute under the UID of zero unless the owner of the job, typically root/Administrator, is listed in the Server attribute acl_roots.

The Windows version of PBS considers as a “root” account the following:

• Local SYSTEM account
  • Account that is a member of the local Administrators group on the local host
  • Account that is a member of the Domain Admins group on the domain
  • Account that is a member of the Administrators group on the domain controller
  • Account that is a member of the Enterprise Admins group on the domain
  • Account that is a member of the Schema Admins group on the domain
In order to submit a job from this “root” account on the local host, be sure to set acl_roots. For instance, if user foo is a member of the Administrators group, then you need to set:

Qmgr: set server acl_roots += foo

in order to submit jobs and not get a “bad UID for job execution” message.

WRT error with queue

If you were submitting the job to a specified queue via PBS Professional's command, qsub, then you would have used the "-q workq" argument.

Again, I don't know what the abaqus argument --queue is looking for to be valid. I see you specified "--queue workq:fsshared". The appended fsshared argument is unknown to me, so this must be something specific for Abaqus?? 

WRT pbsnodes -a command not returning nodes

You received an error message that does not make sense to me. Using the -a argument is valid, and I would have expected the command to list out all of the defined nodes within the PBS Server. Similar to the output of qmgr -c "list nodes @default" or qmgr -c "list nodes @active".

Can you confirm the absolute path of the pbsnodes command? I am wondering if Abaqus has wrapped more of the PBS Professional commands. 

WRT pbs_hostn command not returning expected output

Again, the pbs_hostn command is not returning the expected output. You have provided legitimate arguments, but the command is outputting the help/usage. 

Again, can you confirm that the absolute path of the pbs_hostn command?

It might make sense to take abaqus out of the equation and make sure that the PBS Professional installation and configuration is setup correctly. 

Thanks for your answer, Scott!

I have managed to solve this problem. Turns out to be just a problem of administrator-windows type account thing and the /etc/hosts file must be configured.

Thanks!