• Announcements

• admin

PBS Forum Has Closed   06/12/17

The PBS Works Support Forum is no longer active.  For PBS community-oriented questions and support, please join the discussion at http://community.pbspro.org.  Any new security advisories related to commercially-licensed products will be posted in the PBS User Area (https://secure.altair.com/UserArea/). 
Sign in to follow this  
NordinZ

beginner question - does PBS prevent direct submission?

Dear all,

Just a beginner question: How do we prevent users from directly running jobs that require more than 1 cpu/resource?

Is there anything we need to do on the OS side to prevent the users from bypassing the scheduler?

Thank you.

If you intentions is to only allow the user to request 1 CPU jobs at a time. You might want to look into using min/max limits on the queue or server.

If you are trying to avoid having the user's job script from consuming more than the number of CPUs requested, you might look at the MOM's cputime and cpuburst limits.

Scott

Thanks Scott. What I mean is: once PBSPro has been installed and activated, can the user compile and run a multi-processor program directly. For example, when the user performs the following, can the 'example' OpenMP executable runs directly (without going through PBSPro scheduler) or will it be routed automatically to the scheduler:

g++ example.cpp -o example -fopenmp

./example

Sorry but I'm still new to PBSPro, and trying to figure out how its supposed to work.

Sorry - I thought I responded a while back...

From my experience you need to submit the job to PBS Pro for it to get scheduled. I know of some software companies, including ours, uses PBS Professional to schedule their software builds. They write their build scripts and then submit them.